We often focus on nourishing our bodies, with fitness and healthy food, and forget that to function at our optimal level and experience overall well-being, it is extremely important to take care of our minds. We all have ups and downs (that’s life) and there are days or even months when we might not feel positive at all! Struggles are always there to challenge ourselves and for us to keep moving towards the best version of ourselves. Often we see social media accounts that are all about happiness, perfection, success, etc. and trust me this is not REAL. We all have bad times and accepting them is way better than feeling bad about them/fighting them. However, there are always some tips we can use to take care of our mind:
- Accept your emotions and work on them: If you feel sad, anxious, triggered, lonely, etc. Analyze where is this emotion coming from, is something triggering you? Is something happening in your life that is showing up as this emotion? Is the situation that you are experiencing real? What can you do to change this emotion/situation to a positive one?
- Be grateful: Do you ever stop for a moment and realize how lucky are you for all you have? We often focus on what WE DON’T have (which causes anxiety/sadness/stress) and we forget to focus on what we have! First thing I do when I wake up is writing down what I am grateful for that day and I often stop during the day just to appreciate little moments such as a sunset.
- Meditate: Your first times meditating won’t be easy at all… It’s hard to focus and be still without thinking about anything else, right? But it’s only about learning how to dismiss your thoughts for a short period of time and living in the present moment. Meditation is scientifically proven to help with depression, anxiety, focus and stress.
- Stay Active: Exercising might be hard if you are feeling low but sometimes we need to force ourselves and engage in physical activities; endorphins (happiness hormones lol) are released when we exercise so this is definitely a MUST when we feel low. Yoga, running, weight training or whatever works for you!
- Journaling: Every night I write down whatever happened to me during the day and every single thought that is in my mind, otherwise I go to bed with lots of thoughts that can disrupt my sleep; sleeping 7-8 hrs is also essential for a healthy mind. Writing down our feelings is a way of staying aware of what is truly going on in our minds, sometimes our thoughts are not real and by identifying them we give them less power.
- Eat healthy: Sometimes we tend to turn to junk food when we feel bad (emotional eating) and while this is something that lots of people do unconsciously it is something that we need to stay aware of. Eating a piece of chocolate or a dessert is totally fine but binging is whole different story and we need to learn how to cope with our emotions in a healthy way. Eating nutritious food has a positive impact in our mental health. Our guts are connected to our brain and taking care of our gut is key to stay mentally healthy. Adding glutamine, probiotics and nutritious food can aid in gut healing.
- Add some supplements: As I mentioned before probiotics and glutamine are great for a healthy gut= healthy mind, but I also recommend adding a good quality multivitamin, omega- 3 and magnesium since these can also have a positive impact in your brain. Additionally, there are other supplements (such as l-tyrosine for a positive mood and adrenal health and Ashwagandha for stress and anxiety) that can be helpful but you need to consult your nutritionist/health provider before using them since they can have interactions with other medications.
- Surround yourself with positive people: The people that you spend time with during your journey can have a huge impact in how you feel. Make sure you surround yourself with people who support you, encourage you and that you feel good to be around. Toxic people will only drain your energy and affect your mood even more. Also, when you are around people learn to say NO and to prioritize yourself.
ACCEPT YOUR JOURNEY AT EVERY STAGE AND REMEMBER THAT THE SUN SHINES AGAIN EVERY DAY (: Whatever you might be facing is temporary, don’t lose sight of who you want to be.