So much fitness information everywhere and now you are confused? We’ve all been there! Here are my simple yet super helpful workout tips for you:
- Don’t overtrain!!!- This is one of the most important recommendations I always give to my clients because there is a misconception that you need to workout daily and for hours to see results and let me tell you that this is completely FALSE! Whenever we train excessively we don’t give our muscles time to recover (muscles need to have the proper time to recover for the next training session) and we put our body on stress mode which causes an excess production of cortisol (the stress hormone that prevents us from losing fat and makes us retain water). Sometimes less is more; train strategically and you will see awesome results and you won’t be energy drained all the time.
- Warm up and cool down- I always do a brief warm up that includes dynamic stretching and some walking on the treadmill or rope jumping, this way we prepare our muscles for our workouts and we are less prone to injuries. Cool down should include static stretching and some breathing to lower down our heart rate and breathing to resting levels and helps our muscles returning to their optimal length-tension relationships.
- Workout according to your goals- Training strategically for our goals is key. For example if you are training for endurance you should be running long distance and lifting weights with low weight and high reps but if you are training for muscle mass and you are training for endurance you won’t see results since you will have to do minimal cardio (or instead so some HIIT sessions) and lift heavy in the 8-12 rep range to gain muscle mass. So as you can see our results depend on our training sessions, so make sure you have the right training protocol or you’ll be disappointed.
- Lift with proper form- If you want to get the best of your workout you need to perform the exercises correctly (you can even watch exercise tutorials in YouTube so you make sure you are doing it right). Even if you are lifting super heavy make sure you lift a weight in which you can complete your last repetition with proper form and focus on the movement because sometimes we are so focused on just finishing the workout that we don’t even perform the exercises properly.
- Drink water- Muscles are about 75% water…so there you have it! Our muscles need water to perform right because whenever we are dehydrated our muscles lose strength and we might feel dizzy and tired which will affect our performance. An active woman should consume 2-3 LT of water a day and men should consume 3-4 LT (approximately since this can vary depending other factors).
- Supplement with BCAS when training for fat loss- Whenever we are in a fat loss regimen losing muscle is pretty common and if this happens we won’t attain the look we are looking for (we can lose fat but if we don’t have enough muscle mass we won’t look toned). So if you are dieting and training hard BCAAs will prevent muscle mass breakdown and if you are training to gain muscle you can also add them to aid in muscle gains.
So there you have it healthy people! Hope you enjoy it and if you did share it please (: